Thursday, November 12, 2009

Our Speical House Guest . . .

Yes, we have had a very special guest in our home for the last who knows how long...let me start from the beginning! Last winter while cleaning out under the sink after experiencing a leaky pipe, I came across some very tiny droppings. Ah hah! I said to myself, "it seems we have a guest visiting us." So after wiping everything down with gloves on of course, I set out traps and within a day or two our house guest was caught in the claws of the trap. I was very proud of my efforts with such a quick catch; when low and behold I find more droppings scattered under the sink once again just a few days after we thought we had said farewell to our first guest. So I proceed once again, with even more traps and poison this time, to rid ourselves of the guest or guests once and for all. And yes! another guest is caught. I continued to leave our guest food and trappings, but after several weeks and months no other guests were to be seen or caught. Well, a few days ago (mind you it has been at least 7-8 months since our last several house guests); while turning to get off of the barstool in the kitchen, out of the corner of my eye I see something moving toward the upstair steps and as I raised up off the stool moving towards the unkown guest, it turned and ran back behind the couch in the front room. I hollered and screamed, called Andrew at work with my frantic news (not that he could doing anything about it while at work), but, I felt better venting to him that we had another house guest! Ahhhhhhh! So after gaining my composure, telling myself, 'good heavens Lori you are a trillion times bigger than he or she is - get a grip.You have done this before' So I go about retreiving the box full of traps and putting four traps with cheese in the front room in various spots. Two days went by without a trapped guest. So I got to thinking I should place the traps in other spots in the kitchen as well. So I placed one under the sink, one in the walk-in pantry, one in the small kitchen pantry and leaving one in the front room.... Tick tock...tick tock...a day goes by...tick tock....tick tock...a week goes by and no house guest to be seen or caught! Was this creature a figment of my imagination, did our guest leave our home (wishful thinking) with the possiblity of the cat next door catching this intruder?! Each day for the last week I would go around inspecting the traps to see if our guest had succumbed to the temptation of the once yummy fresh cheese. The last few days I actually forgot about checking the traps figuring our guest had bid us farewell. Thursday, November 12th while putting tubberware away . . . . . . . . . . what to my wondering eyes did appear . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Yes, yes, ah yes! the mouse in our house is no longer our guest!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oh I hate those guests! We have had a few of those while living here and I can't deal with them. The first two our friend came over to deal with/put out traps and dispose of because Steve was out of town. The last one I left stinking under the sink unsure of what it was until Steve could come home and investigate. I am a total wimp! HaHa.

Unknown said...

I'm going to report you to PETA!!

Unknown said...

This post made me laugh, Lori - I can just imagine it!!! AHHH! I would definitely be screaming and calling Brian at work too! I love catching up on all your pictures - all your grandkids looked so cute for Halloween! And how AWESOME that you could go on such a fabulous church history vacation! Tell your husband Happy Birthday for me! I miss you! Hopefully we can meet up soon! :) Love ya!

Julie said...

Ooooooooo...those pesky little house guests!!!!!!!